6 Dangerous Chemicals You Must Avoid While Washing Dishes

Washing And Dangerous Chemicals

While washes the dishes is simply a part of life that cannot be avoided, it might surprise you to learn that you are exposing yourself to a tremendous amount of toxic chemicals each time you are standing at the sink. Forget about the catchy commercial jingles or the popular spokesperson for the dish washing detergent brand that you use. Have you really ever taken a close look at the ingredients in the product you use to wash your dishes? Not only will you have a hard time pronouncing some of the ingredients, chances are pretty good that you don’t have a clue what they are. In order to live a greener and healthier life, it is extremely important that you are aware of the dangerous chemicals you must avoid while washing dishes each day.

Phosphates – Many popular brands of dish washing detergent utilize phosphates as a main ingredient to help with scrubbing action. The main purpose of a phosphate is for water softening, but it can also act like a fertilizer in water. The problem with having them as a main ingredient in your dish washing detergent is that you are coming in contact with that toxic solution, and if the dishes are not cleaned thoroughly, you are placing your meals in contact with them. To show how powerful this one ingredient is, one only need look at the phosphates used in local water treatment facilities. When the concentration becomes too high, it will deplete oxygen levels in the water and lead to the growth of dangerous algae. The algae is deadly to consume, so the right mix of the phosphates must be monitored daily to protect the water and the consumer. The best thing you can do is avoid contact with any dish detergents that contain phosphates. Purchase green brands that clearly state phosphate-free on the label.

Ammonia – It might come as a big surprise to you that your dish washing detergent has trace amounts of ammonia as an ingredient. What you should be made aware of is if your dishwashing detergent does have ammonia, you should stop using it immediately. Even the smallest trace of ammonia can be toxic to the human body, but people are not even clued in that this deadly toxin is coming in contact with their hands and the dishes they eat off of.

1 2 3